Bios is considered an essential and integral part of the computer system. When we turn on the computer system it shows the memory capacity initially, the light on the NUM lock glows, we hear a beep sound at the end after which we see the logo of the windows. This is considered normal behavior for a computer expert but for the ones who are not familiar with this we cannot say the same about them. Today we will teach you how to bypass and remove the BIOS password.
The methods we will share to crack BIOS passwords will work on laptop and desktop. It is excellent to know how to reset the BIOS password because it does get annoying when you forget it.
What is BIOS (Basic Input/Output System)?
So what exactly is the role of bios? Bios is a chip that is located on the motherboard or system board of the computer system. It carries all the information regarding the hardware, system date, and time of the computer. It is also responsible for starting POST that is checked by the system itself.
If you have added a new hardware drive to your computer system with the purpose to enhance space and the hard drive does not get detected in bios. The question is whether you will be able to use that drive as you log in to windows? Well, NO, your hard drive must be detected by bios first as it has information regarding the hardware settings, OS then detects it.
How to Crack and Bypass BIOS Password in Windows 10/11
In some cases where you want to change settings in bios, and you figure out that it is not taking the password then you will see the following screen:
This scene can also occur when you buy PC from someone, and he did not share with you the bios password, or maybe another person uses the same PC and has set a different password in bios. After constant guessing, we are not able to crack it so what to do in a situation like this? In such a case you need to break the bios password. You can do this in the following ways:
- In the first step, you are required to the password jumper settings thereon bios. The motherboard has a specific jumper which is meant for this. Before doing this, you need to read the product manual first as the position of the jumper differs from one motherboard to the other
- To perform such a task, you need to shut down your computer system, unscrew the screws there on the side of CPU and make sure the power cable is out of the socket
- Once done you need to locate the bios jumper there on the motherboard by checking the documentation and reset the same
- It may be labeled as JCMOS1 or CLEARCMOS
- Now you need to restart your computer system and check if the password is cleared or not.
- As the password gets cleared you again, need to shut down your PC
- Now put the jumper back to its original position.
How to Remove BIOS Password on Laptop
The process is different for laptop users. They use the back door data entry option. You will see the following error if you throw in the wrong password twice or thrice.
- In the first step note the code that is displayed.
- Then you need to find a bios password cracking tool. You can find some on http://bios-pw.org/
- You need to enter the code here
- The password shall be generated within a few minutes
Recommended Methods to Remove BIOS Passwords (Laptop and PC)
The problem can be solved by bypassing the password. You can do this in the following way:
Method 1: Overloading the Keyboard Buffer
Such a plan can be implemented to the old board, but there is a possibility that the newer system might not be able to do this.
- For this, you need to boot the computer system without a keyboard or mouse
- In some bios architectures, you can also do this by pressing the ESC key with quick succession.
Method 2: Reset BIOS Password using Backdoor from Manufacturer
The backdoor bios passwords are usually a set of passwords. These are the master passwords that are provided by the bios vendor. Such passwords are specific to the manufacturers and are generic. To put it in other words, almost all the manufacturers out there maintain a set of passwords that can be used in spite of any password the user has set. The backdoor bios passwords can be accessed easily from the manufacturer’s website and are not hard to get.
Method 3: Use a BIOS Tool to decrypt the password
Bios is a complete security suite; it is capable of decrypting passwords that are used in standard bios makes such as an award, American megatrends, IMB, etc. It can also brute force the password, but this method is very dangerous and may result in unwanted results. You need to follow the steps:
- In the first step, you need to reboot your computer system. here you are supposed to note down the version and type of bios
- Now you need to download the bios and save it on the desktop
- Open the DOS command windows by opening start > run and type cmd
- On the black screen type cd desktop
- Now you shall see C;\Documents and settings\YourUserName\desktop>
- Type the file name that has been download
- If you have not changed the name, then type in exe
- By using the down arrow choose crackers and then press the right arrow
- by using the up and down arrows select bios that are being used by the motherboard and press the enter button
Now you will see a menu that asks you regarding what you need to crack.
- If you want to crack the system or supervisor password, then press key one on your keyboard
You will see another menu that will ask how you want it to broken. Try option one and have your bios password
- Now you need to reboot your computer system and then try the bios password and see if it works.
Method 4: Bypassing BIOS Password using CMD in Windows 10/11
If you can access the installed OS only then this method shall work. You need to follow the steps:
- In the first step, you need to login to the desktop
- Now you need to run the MS-Dos program
- You need to execute the following command
Debug, o 70 2E o71 FF, quit
The above command is used to reset the bios settings and bios password.
Method 5: Remove CMOS Battery
You can solve your problem also by removing the CMOS battery. For this, you need to follow the steps:
- In the first step, you need to locate the CMOS battery
The battery is found to be flat and of a round shape. CMOS is considered as an essential and integral part of the system board bios. All the motherboards carry a CMOS battery. As it is finished, coin-shaped and flat, it shall be identified easily. It has within it the bios settings that include the date, time, basic hardware settings, and other information regarding the system. You need to shut down your computer system and unplug the power cable to remove the CMOS battery.
- In the Second step Remove and Put the Battery Back
As soon as the computer system loses power, you can now remove the CMOS battery. You need to wait for like 15 to 20 minutes. After this time you can put back the CMOS battery and turn the computer system on.
- Well, now it should be unlocked
After removing and putting the battery back, you can now bypass the bios password and login to your computer system.
It is important to note here that you can also add a new password again from the bios. If somehow yet you have forgotten the password then you need to repeat steps 1 and step 2 to reset the password.
Note: This tutorial can help you remove passwords on laptops and desktops from:
How did you remove your BIOS password?
I hope you learned how to bypass or remove a bios password after reading this page. BIOS has always been very difficult to crack and avoid because of their integrity and security features. This tutorial covers everything from breaking to resetting BIOS passwords which help you gain access back to your settings.